Subject: Re: [Leica] Oktoberfest --
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:12:37 -0700

Bill Rosauer wrote:

>Went to Oktoberfest three years ago right after Photokina.  It's my idea of
>the perfect trip to Germany, OD'ing on Leicas and bier!>>>>>

Hi Bill,

I thought I might add a teensy bit to the most incredible "fall fair" one
could attend.  This  isn't one of those little bitty "Oktoberfest things of
North America," this is the mother of all festivals.  However you don't
want to be inhibited by crowds of people. :)

With out question, if you are a Leica toting kinda person there isn't a
festival you can attend and have more fun with thousands of wonderful
subjects at your finger tips and nary a person getting on your case about
shooting pictures.

It is particularly wonderful if you like a beer to boot.  I did a magazine
shoot some years ago and we were ten days from open until closing, an
absolute wonderful experience and super pictures. I even managed a few
beers in the course of the long days and everything was still in focus! :)
And manually done!:)

All available light, both colour and B&W. Wonderful to  shoot around people
who recognize a well made Leica camera and make comments about your
equipment. Sometimes because of the camera, you find yourself being invited
to share a table which then allows very personal and intimate picture
situations you might not otherwise have.

Besides if you are single and intend on a little "flirting" it's really
magnificent!:)

<<<<<did the Hofbrauhaus, although there is now a Planet Hollywood across
the street.  Talk about culture shock!>>>>>>

Bill don't worry about Planet Hollywood I see they're in deep finacial
shock, it  wouldn't be any loss in beautiful Munchen. Besides who'd waste
their time in a crappy hollywood over priced establishment when you can
have the old world Hofbrauhaus for some real picture taking culture shock.
And of course a wonderful beer and sausage!

>Don't forget the wonderful Kolsch beer that is a Cologne specialty.  Got to
>drink some with Tom A., Erwin, Jem, Lucien and several other LUGgers.  Bliss!
>Come to Chicago for the LHSA annual meeting in Oktober, and we'll hoist a few
>here too!>>>>>

Sorry Bill no can do. It looks like the LHSA get together is the same time
once again as my Leica USA seminar workshop this year in Kennebunkport,
Maine.  Maybe you guys can get your act together with Carl Derderian in
Boston and work out a timing for 2000 when LHSA is in Boston. I believe the
seminar will be on the Cape, then people could attend both events, making
it one great big Leica lovein bash!:)

Then throw some beer in! :)  Talk about making the "Boston Tea Party" look
like a non-event, :)  imagine all those Leica folks taking over Boston,
Leica in one hand, beer in the other!!:)

I know someone is going to say "OK how do you focus that way?"

Very carefully place the beer on the ground, focus and shoot or leave the
lens stopped down to it's smallest aperture, set for hyperfocal and shoot a
way! :)

See I told you all along, "Keep it simple stupid and relaxing!" :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant