Subject: [Leica] Back from Israel
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:39:29 +0200

Friends,

I came back from 10 days in Israel yesterday and found over 1300 LUG
posts in my in-box. I will not claim that I read them all, but my quick
scan saddened me somewhat when I saw the amount of flaming and
name-calling that went on while I was away.

Anyway, with me I had the Billingham Alice, which contained two M6s and
the 24mm, 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summicron, 50mm Noctilux and 135mm Apo
Telyt, plus a Gitzo mini tripod. It may seem strange to take two 50mm
lenses, but the Noctilux came in handy when photographing at a family
reunion and inside caves and churches. As usual, the 35mm and 50mm
Summicrons were my primary lenses, but the 24mm saw a fair amount of use
in the bazars in Akko (Acre) and Jerusalem, as well as for some
landscapes in the desert near the Dead Sea. And the 135mm turned out to
be useful for some candid shots.

Somebody asked a question about what to use to carry non-photo stuff. I
bought a photographer's vest the day before the trip, and it turned out
to be very useful. I still carried my Alice bag, but the ample pockets
of the vest allowed me to easily carry my mobile phone, maps,
cigarettes, wallet etc. The vest is made of cotton and even in the 40C
heat at the Dead Sea it was not a problem to wear it. I will take it
along on all trips from now on. My wife first thought it looked a bit
geeky, but later decided that it imparted a cool Indiana Jones look,
especially after 3-4 days without shaving ;-)

On airport security: following Tina's suggestions I put all my film into
a lead-lined bag inside my carry-on luggage and had no problems at
either Brussels or Tel Aviv airports. Since the latter is an incredibly
security-conscious place, for obvious reasons, I expected that I would
be asked to open my bag and show the contents but it did not happen. I
can only conclude that either the scanning equipment saw through the
lead-lined bag, rendering it useless, or the security people were not
troubled by a large blob in my shoulder bag.

I am glad to be back!

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman