Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 80-200 Rom on Ebay at $685.50, no Reserve
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:41:11 -0700

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Ebay means the auction might be over by the time the Lug members are
> informed about it on Friday and the get a chance to look it up.  It is also
> a hell of a deal.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert
>
> At 05:19 PM 8/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:
> >>
> >> I know its not Friday, but I have a lens listed on Ebay.  There is no
> >> reserve.  Click on the other auctions by seller link to see some other
> >> stuff up on Ebay by me.
><snip>
> >> Robert
> >
> >No but this is Wednesday so this must be Belgium. What might the magic words
> >"Ebay" have to do with anything?
> >Does it make Wednesday into Thursday? Or are not not in Belgium?
> >Mark Rabiner

OF course so! If when people post their Ebay things they inform us that would
fill our little list with commerce wouldn't it? And that's not what we
apparently want is it? Why would an Ebay listing make it more appropriate to
sell stuff on the LUG on other days that Fridays?
I know. It does not say it anywhere in stone that sale day is only Fridays. But
so far that is the way the list has worked and everyone has pretty much
respected that.
I think it's fine for Ebay to take over the commerce of the world but I don't
see why it needs to take over the workings of this list.
If you are so very concerned that your pals here on the LUG not get a fair
warning on your Ebay listings then do your Ebay listings on Friday.
That's my opinion.
I do not consider buying things sold here other than Fridays. I delete them
immediately without looking out them.
Mark Rabiner