Subject: [Leica] Re: questions on computer for photo work
From: Stan Parry <sparry@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:38:16 -0700

- --------------DF5B2D900956E89C76D2A58D

Just some thoughts on Mac or PC with Photoshop. How much manipulation do you
intend to do? In the US you get more PC for the dollar but Photoshop was
developed for the MAC. I took a Photoshop class from a local training group and
they used both. You might want to consult with a professional teacher of
Photoshop, particularly if you have one at your local university. My impression
is that if you use it mainly as a photographer would for printing with some
manipulation a PC with Pentium II at 400Mhz plus and 128 Ram should be enough.
Your hard drive needs to be as big and fast as is reasonable but you don't need
to get the fastest in the world. Check with Photoshop user groups. Start with
www.adobe.com  Adobe Systems Incorporated and go to User Forums. A two or three
day class could save you a lot of money and put you in touch with people with
similar interests. Working on two platforms may be more trouble than its worth
but you should check with people who have tried it.

Doug McLernon wrote:

> How much hard disc space do you recommend, how much RAM for Photoshop, and
> what processor speed would you buy in a Mac? Of course budget constraints
> enter into to the equation so I am budgeting about $2500 for the computer
> alone.  I do know that the rule "a computer is obsolete as soon as one opens
> the box" holds true-  so  advances will be made monthly. How easy is it to
> update Macs rather than replacing the whole machine? Many thanks for your
> time.
> Regards,
> Doug

- --------------DF5B2D900956E89C76D2A58D

Just some thoughts on Mac or PC with Photoshop. How much manipulation do
you intend to do? In the US you get more PC for the dollar but Photoshop
was developed for the MAC. I took a Photoshop class from a local training
group and they used both. You might want to consult with a professional
teacher of Photoshop, particularly if you have one at your local university.
My impression is that if you use it mainly as a photographer would for
printing with some manipulation a PC with Pentium II at 400Mhz plus and
128 Ram should be enough. Your hard drive needs to be as big and fast as
is reasonable but you don't need to get the fastest in the world. Check
with Photoshop user groups. Start with www.adobe.com&nbsp; <a href="http://www.adobe.com/">Adobe
Systems Incorporated</a> and go to User Forums. A two or three day class
could save you a lot of money and put you in touch with people with similar
interests. Working on two platforms may be more trouble than its worth
but you should check with people who have tried it.
RAM for Photoshop, and
as one opens
How easy is it to
your