Subject: [Leica] M3 with latest model of 50mm Summicron-M?
From: Douglas Williams <dwilli19@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 06:59:05 -0400

Last night, for the first time (I don't know why I didn't try
before) I mounted my later model 50mm Summicron-M on my M3.
As I was adjusting the focus on something about 1.2m (3 feet
or so), the rangefinder image stopped adjusting.   Looking at
the body without the lens attached, I see that the focussing
arm/cam (that follows the lens to focus the rangefinder) only
has a limited amount of range, and thus would not come out
(forward) far enough to follow the lens cam.  Apparently the
arm will not follow the lens cam through the entire range. Is
this correct on the M3?  Is there something wrong with either
the lens or the M3 which would prevent me from focussing down
closer than 3 feet?  The M3 was recently CLA by Sherry, so I
am thinking it is an issue of compatibility?  My DR Summicron
(on the M3) seems to focus down to the 18 inches with the
eyes, like it should!  Perhaps the lens is at fault?  Anyone
have any ideas what is going on here?  The lens just came back
from a CLA, but I had never tried it on the M3.  My M6 is
away, so I can't try the lens on that body.  I did not know of
any limits of the M3 with later (closer focussing) M lenses.
Help...

- -Douglas Williams