Subject: [Leica] R8 flash problems
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:36:19 -0700

I've got a strange problem I'm hoping someone can solve for me.

A month or so ago I sent in my new R8 to have the sync plug repaired. It didn't
work, but the hotshoe did with a Wein voltage adapter on it to which I could
attach the sync cord. My paper uses Norman battery and AC strobes.

Got a call from Leica saying they couldn't duplicate the problem, then said I
probably needed a voltage regulator and that's why it didn't work. Our lab tech
tested the plug on our studio strobe pack and it weighed in at 90 volts, way too
high as I understand it.

Got the R8 back but didn't try out the flash until today. In the meantime I also
acquired a Wein voltage regulator with the AC plug so I'd be covered.
No such luck. This time, I couldn't use the pc plug or the hotshoe (with
regulators). They both worked with a Nikon F4, however.
To confuse things further, they wouldn't work without the adaptor either (tried
that last, after finding a pack regulated to 24 volts) BUT THE HOT SHOE WORKS with
both a vivitar flash or Nikon SB-26 on top.

So, what the hell's wrong? Any ideas?

thanks,

Dave Y.