Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic--Best Paper
From: Frank Conley <frankconley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

> Thought you gave up photography to be a lawyer?????

I just expanded my options and made myelf a little more
self-sufficient--I always felt bad when I had to call the newspaper's
lawyer to get me out of trouble when I'd do something smart like get
into a venue without a press pass. This way I can bail myself out. :)

And believe me, I doubt I make more than you, though I sure work a
helluva lot less!

I, too, was printing some 11 x 14's this past weekend, which gave rise
to my question. There's clearly an issue with getting more shadow
detail, which I need to work on. But despite that issue, the prints
didn't have the "feel" I wanted. They aren't grainy enough, for one,
and they don't have the "soft" quality that old prints do.

Having run the gambit from Nikon, Canon, Leica, and Contax, I've ruled
out lenses as the cause of that quality (though I suppose that
manufacturers use an entirely different process for glass making
nowadays than they did in the first half of the century) and think that
it must be the paper. I haven't tried the Agfa paper before, and shall
give it a go.

Thanks for the info.

Frank