Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic--Best Paper
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:16:16 -0700

Frank Conley wrote:

> I'm looking for a really nice paper which will give tonal results along
> the lines of prints from the 1940's. Any suggestions?

Ilford makes a warm version of it's multicontrast paper which I would think
would do the trick.
I have some and it's a stop slower and softer than regular multicontrast which
has been my paper for decades.
As this paper is as fast and contrasty as can be the "chocolate" version "by the
color of the box" is very workable.
It is very responsive to differing developers and toners. It should not be hard
at all to work up a distinctive look and that look would likely lean toward
previous tonalities of previous decades.
Although this could be a trick question and you don't want warm, but cold. In
that case Dupont Varigram had more bromide than chloride and I would just get
into Pyro. Become a Pyromaniac!
Mark Rabiner