Subject: Re: [Leica] Reliability?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:42:46 -0700

Micheal Gatov wrote:

>What is holding me back is the apparent unreliability of the current M6.
>I've had friends who have had the rangefinder needing to be sent back to
>Leica for repair on a regular basis (4 times in 2 years).  One guy simply
>had his camera slip off of his car seat and fall about 8" onto the carpet
>and it bumped it out of whack.>>>>>>>

Hi Micheal,

This post is from an owner of 3 M6's purchased in 1985 and well used in
work mode ever since.  None have ever been cleaned and the last time
checked  by a Leica serviceman, all three came well within what is expected
of the M6 out of the box. Now that's mine built then and today is now!

It has appeared on the LUG some new owners have had situations with the M6
leading to servicing of the rangefinder for whatever reason. However, I'd
not let that be a deterent to purchasing a new or older model. Sure out of
the box new shouldn't have one iota of thing out of place, we are human
beings and not perfect either. But any adjustments will and can be made by
Leica where you find something amiss.

Let me assure you if you have any doubts about buying an M6 and I don't
imagine I'd spring for an M6J as it may not be any better, I'd buy it an
see what happens, neither you nor anyone else is going to die because of
the rangefinder off the mark. A damn inconvenience, but not the end of the
world. Though at times some folks do think it is. :)

<<<When I talked to our local pro-shop here in Portland about how many M6's
they have had to send back for customers, they've mentioned that quite a
few have come in needing repair, moreso than most other manufacturers
bodies.>>>>

Now lad I'd have a toughtime swallowing that one from the service shop and
would want to see shipping numbers and account files before I believe it.
Certainly many on the LUG would say the same thing from their private use
of the M6.

>1)  What is going on with the M6?  If I could find an M6J, would it be built
>any better?>>>>

Not likely, but I can't say that for absolute, besides I think it would
cost you more money than the everday excellent M6, leaving you money to put
towrds the lens requirement.

>2)  Has anyone used the 90mm F2.0 Aspheric?  If so, how is its performance?

Few of these around yet, although I believe there are a few LUGNUTS with
them and will likely respond shortly. I haven't heard anything other than
praise. May I suggest you look at Erwin Puts web page assement of Leica
lenses and I beleive he has done one on this particular lens, as well as
many many more.

>3)  How is the 35mm f1.4 aspheric wide open, and also closed down to say
f11?>>>>>

When you see what happens with this lens wide open you kinda get the
feeling you are going to just leave it wide open all the time and merely
change shutter speeds for correct exposure.:)  Magnifcent film cutting
image maker at any apeture.

>4)  I've heard that the Noctilux lends a unique appearance to the pictures.
Can anyone describe it?>>>>>

Aaaaaaah the Noctilux!:) The lens used by the "Knights & Knightettes of Low
Light!"  See Tina I couldn't leave you out. :)

If you are looking at being stopped down for much of your picture taking,
rather than wide open at f.1.0 or slightly less, then don't buy it. Nothing
wrong with it stopped down, but why pop that amount of money for a lens
that will create the most incredible images under light conditions you'd
never think possible without that horrible thing called, "flash!" :)

The Noctilux stands apart from all others in how it records on film while
shooting at f 1.0 or 1.4. I've had one since 1967 and it has given me
images both in colour or B&W that I would never have got otherwise.

I've had art directors ask me how I shot kodachrome 64 inside dimly lit
resturants without using a lighting man? My answer....."it's a trade
secret!":) Or when I shot the medical team book during night rounds with
doctors and nurses and never used flash, they couldn't believe I was really
taking pictures until they saw the images.

My advice, as I've given to many others, Buy it! If you don't like it, sell
it, no harm done nor money lost.

Desciribe how it looks? I can only say, "try describing poetry." :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant