Subject: [Leica] Reliability?
From: "Michael Gatov" <Wildmagic@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:54:51 -0700

Hi:

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping I can get a bit of
advice.  First of all, I previouslly owned an M6 with a 50mm f2.0 and a 90mm
f2.8.  I sold them to help me get into a Contax SLR system RTSIII, RX and 9
lenses.   I've been genuinely thrilled with the results of the Zeiss optics,
and that led me to buy a G2.  I've also been very happy with that. So much
so that I've pretty much stopped using the SLR (since I use my H'blad system
when I'm willing to carry a bunch of weight).   The problem that I have is
that if I don't want to carry my Contax SLR, I'm not able to take advantage
of fast lenses.  While I'm thrilled with the performance of the G2, it
simply does not have fast enough lenses for all of my needs.  I like to
travel and generally only want to work with available light. I'm
contemplating going back into the M6 and getting:  35mm 1.4 aspheric, 50mm
noctilux, and the 90mm 2.0 aspheric.  I would use these in addition to the G
system.  It might be heresy to say it on this forum, but I prefer the color
rendition from the G optics to those of the M series lenses that I used.
But that is irrelevant if I can't get the shot because there isn't enough
light.

What is holding me back is the apparent unreliability of the current M6.
I've had friends who have had the rangefinder needing to be sent back to
Leica for repair on a regular basis (4 times in 2 years).  One guy simply
had his camera slip off of his car seat and fall about 8" onto the carpet
and it bumped it out of whack.  When I talked to our local pro-shop here in
Portland about how many M6's they have had to send back for customers,
they've mentioned that quite a few have come in needing repair, moreso than
most other manufacturers bodies.

Now I know that the lenses are built like tanks, but I'm worried about the
body.  So, I'm hoping you can help me out with a few questions:

1)  What is going on with the M6?  If I could find an M6J, would it be built
any better?
2)  Has anyone used the 90mm F2.0 Aspheric?  If so, how is its performance?
3)  How is the 35mm f1.4 aspheric wide open, and also closed down to say
f11?
4)  I've heard that the Noctilux lends a unique appearance to the pictures.
Can anyone describe it?

Thanks for listening,
Regards,
Michael