Subject: [Leica] LUG Critique - listen up!
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:40:43 GMT

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:05:09 -0400 (EDT), Ktuckphoto@aol.com wrote:

>I'm new to the site but I'm a little surprised at several things:
> 1. The unending prattle about cars (who cars--they are just expensive camera cases).

Sounds to me like you're new here.  We get off topic a fair bit.  It's
like a family - we chat about all kinds of stuff.  BTW , what's your
favorite Scotch?

> 2.  The vehemence of debate over eye glasses
See above

> 3.  The lack of substantive material concerning Leica Rangefinder Cameras.
You are definitely new here, aintcha?  Stick around, there's lots of
talk about Ms and SMs on this list  - patience, grasshopper, patience.

>One more thing
>baffles me:  How can individuals who are smart enough to appreciate a fine
>piece of gear such as an M camera possible to their digital imaging on PC
>---windows computers.  That's like putting a Nikkor 43-86 mm zoom lense on
>your M6 and wondering why your photos aren't sharp.  Like putting a Hundai
>four cylinder engine in your BMW M5 and wondering why there's no acceleration.

Well, there are a couple of ways to look at Leica M pictures.  One is
"I have the best lenses in the world and nothing shall stand between
their magnificence and my final output".  The other is "Look at this
great picture.  I would hate to entrust it to the tender mercies of a
commercial lab - after all, I know what it's supposed to look like.
And seeing as how I live in an apartment with scant room for an Omega
D4, but I already have this computer..."  Have you ever seen the
output from a decent scanner and an Epson Photo 750?  I have, and
frankly, I don't care if I ever smell acetic acid again (except on a
salad, of course).

Paul Chefurka

PS - Pease retitle your messages to the list.  "Re: [Leica] Re: Leica
Users digest V10 #92" isn't very descriptive.  For all we know, you
could be looking for advice on a Nikkor 43-86 :-)