Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 thoughts
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:33:16 -0700

Greg Bicket wrote:  in part......

>Regarding rumours of the R8's premature death,  What follows is not a
>defense of the R8, but rather a celebration of how perfectly satisfying
>its use is to one amateur.
>
>Like the M6 and its variants, the R8 is not for everyone, but it is for me a
>great design achievement.

<It is extraordinarily easy to use, and as my experience with it grows, I
become <less and less conscious of the camera, and am able to focus more
and more upon <getting the image I seek onto the film I am using.

>As a devoted amateur, I do not debate the lack of utility of the R8 in the
>professional's hands.  A motor drive is without question, a tool
>professionals >demand.  Autofocus, or at a minimum, focus confirmation
>would be useful at >times for both professionals and amateurs. I use a
>winder, but more as an >electric thumb than as a rapid advance accessory.
>
>As someone serious about having fun with a quality camera and quality
>lenses, the R8 meets my needs perfectly.
>
>I do not photograph racing sprinters, or speeding Formula 1 cars for a
>living, >and if I did, I probably would not use an R8 for that work.

>Just like the M6, they made design decisions about a camera for specific
>user >types.  I think my R8 and its R lenses are terrific for the uses to
>which I put >it, and I enjoy using it a great deal.>>>>>

Hi Greg,

Apologies for cutting into your post on the R8 as an amateur.

But as a professional I wanted to say I agree with you whole heartedly and
then some. Those who bitched about size, weight and many other little
things when the camera arrived from the Solms womb, albeit with a glitch or
two for some folks, it is a wonderful tool and it would be a travesty to
have it junked out of production.

Sure it needs the motor drive and I've cursed the winder on a few
occaisions when I've stupidly tried to use it as a motor, knowing full well
I should have used my R7's and motors. The motor is a correctable item, as
is autofocus  or confirmation for those who wish it.

But after using this R8 machine for 3 years and an uncountable number of
rolls of film, it is in the class of the M6 and someday will be accepted as
such by the naysayers.

Having said that, along with your excellent post on experience with the R8,
I expect after reading the LUG of late, we both will be roundly thrashed
for our "user experience."  Compared to the whiners of "play with it in the
camera store and non-owners".

Of course they are entitled to their opinions as always. Quite frankly if
they haven't hard nosed used the camera I'll take the negative comments
with a large dose of salt. :)  And smile alot remembering the many
excellent exposures from my use of an R8!

"We can forgive them, as they know not what they say!" Or something like
that.:)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant