Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant98@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:05:15 PDT

to minimize the grain and resolution differences between the two
systems.>>>>>>>>>

Hi Folks,

Isn't this a kind of apples and oranges topic? As in comparing the two
systems and quality.

First of all the subjects put on film are usually quite different one system
to the other. One, the 35 certainly in my shooting is people, things and
life in motion hand held or monopod support.

Rarely does one use Hassie to shoot sports, news and available light
subjects, although some of us have at times. But tends more to studio or
scenic matters, where the camera is supported on tripod and multi strobe
lighting.

Many of us have made very excellent 16X20 prints and larger from 35 negs
whether camera on tripod or not, nice clean and very sharp Leica images.
Trying to compare quality difference, size to size of 120 film and 35 is
difficult, unless both cameras are locked down and shooting the identical
subject. Identical light.

Like I say, this seems an "apples and oranges" subject unless it is
scientifically carried out and hardly worth a lengthy discussion when
applied to everyday photography.

I believe we would have to concede the larger neg should yield the finer
grained image in the general sense. However using extra fine grain film for
35 to a medium emulsion Hassie film we might find the prints of equal
credibility.

But then any comparison in this kind of camera/film to camera/film only
works under a controlled situation. Otherwise it's a lot of airtime for
nothing.

ted