Subject: [Leica] Re: Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:45:41 -0700

At 12:44 AM 8/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dave Yoder wrote:
>>
>> Actually, after all the filtering and oppressive burning done to Adams'
>> prints, I have a hard time seeing anything remotely resembling what I see in
>> real, live nature. I'd have to give that edge to Rowell.
>>
>> Dave Yoder
>>
>> > Whose Yosemite do you find
>> > the most "truthful" Adams or Rowell's?

Adams hands down! Sure as hell not Rowell. My problem with Rowell's
photographs is that they are usually not sharp and compositionally
deficient. He does have a few nice photographs. In all of my years of
knowing him and looking at his work, it is obvious that these few gems are
the result of dumb luck.

Adams, on the other hand, was a "MASTER" of creating a visual feast. And it
is B&W. No matter how you photograph and print black and white, it isn't
going to look "truthful." It's Black and White. The world is in color.

The comparison should be between Christopher Burkette and Ansel Adams.
Chris uses 8x10 color and his photographs look like a color version of
Ansel's B&W. Stunning. There is a Gallery in Carmel that sells both Adams
work (originals) and Burkette's work (30x40 and larger Ciba's). If you go
in there, you never want to come out.

Jim

Jim