Subject: [Leica] Chaos
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:16:22 EDT

I had the great pleasure of spending a day with Josef Koudelka in the spring.
 We were in south Wales touring three of his one-man shows in Cardiff
(together with Ian Berry and Bryn Campbell - two equally well known
photographers).  Certainly wouldn't have known it was spring - poured with
rain most of the day.

Koudelka is certainly a very committed photographer who I have great
admiration for, as well as loving his work.   Take a look at his book 'Black
Triangle' if you want to see panoramics, and 'Gypsies' for a taster of his
other work.

I first saw the 'Black Triangle' exhibition in Prague where I bought the book
of the show for about $18.   This is the original Czech version in a plain
cheap brown card cover.   The book is concertina format and stretches (so
Josef tells me) to about 18 metres in length.   He signed the book and tells
me this book is now changing hands in the US for a lot of money.

Josef now splits his time between his homes in France and Italy, and does
most of his work in monochrome, although he confesses the need to use colour
if certain commercial clients dictate.   He, like us all, has to pay the
mortgage!

Gerry (UK)