Subject: [Leica] Fred J. Maroon and the Nixon Years - Squeeze of the Day
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:39:43 -0400

SNIP --

Bill Welch wrote:

I know Fred a bit too and did a magazine story on him a few years ago.
You definitely should see his work if you get the opportunity.

SNIP --

LUG,

At noon today, Thursday, August 12th, I went to the National Museum of
American History (NMAH) in Washington, D.C., to hear Fred Maroon and the
museum exhibit curator, Michelle Delaney, discuss the significant
photographs in the exhibit, "Photographing History  --  The Nixon Years
1970 to 1974."  Nicely placed in the Taylor Hall, right of the main
entrance, the exhibit was marked by the Smithsonian, "No Photographs May
Be Taken In the Exhibit."

In my carry all was my Leica CL with a second generation Summicron f/2
35mm-M (Canada -- Ted).  At the start of the gallery tour, Fred was
answering some general questions and I asked (2nd question) "When will
we be given a photo opportunity with Fred?"  Michelle, the curator said,
"If it is okay with Fred, I will not object to photos."  Fred consented!
I was the only shooter there, ready, and with a Leica.

In a sitting sofa, I was lower and approximately 4 feet away from Fred's
head and eyes.  He was on a "bar stool" in front of blow ups of several
of his photographs.  Earlier and coming into the gallery without
checking the meter, the CL and Summicron were preset (estimate f/2 @
1/30 or f2.8 @ 1/60) for the overhead spots.  While I was quietly
squeezing the shutter release, the TTL meter confirmed my estimate.

Fred tilts his head back when he listens to a question, so the overheads
spots did a nice job of filling in his face.  He is really animated and
fun to shot.  And yes, I would have loved to have attended one of his
photo seminars earlier.

Later, with Fred in the foregound, motioning with his hands towards
various photographs, I squeezed off a number of other shots, making sure
that he was in a spot light.  I got twelve (12) discrete frames of Fred
as we toured, and he explained the location and shooting situation of
various photographs in the exhibit.

The majority of his photos in the exhibit were shot on Tri-X with either
with a Leica M with a Super-Angulon f/3.4 21mm (White House) or an Leica
SL MOT with a telephoto (Watergate Hearings), usually the Telyt-R f/6.8
(push button follow focus) hand held with the stock. He also had some
15mm shots, one of John Mitchell (Nixon's former law partner and his
appointed U.S. Attorney General).  Three of Fred's cameras and lenses
are on display in a wall case.  They are a very clean Leica M3 with the
f/3.4 21mm and finder, and two Leica SL MOT (with the drives) with the
tellys -- one with the stock.

You may see some of Fred Maroon's exhibit at <www.si.edu/nmah>.  Click
on the Fred J. Maroon Exhibit Symbol, upper left corner, and on the home
page for the exhibit, scroll down to the word "Exhibit" and then click
for the photographs.  Enjoy!  Fred did have a copy of his book, which
had been air mailed by the printer to him for the gallery walk -- it
looked fantastic and is very reasonable.  I was told $29.95 when it is
available in a couple of weeks.  I will double check that price at
NMAH's museum store.

The exhibition is on view through December 5, 1999.  Fred will be giving
a talk on Thursday evening, September 9, 1999, 1800 to 2000 hours in the
Carmichael Auditorium, NMAH.  It is free, but you need reservations,
Call (202) 357-3030, and ask for a reservation at the Fred J.
Maroon/Marc J. Pachter talk about "The Nixon Years 1969-1974: White
House to Watergate" (also the title of the book).  Mike Crist and I,
tentatively, are planning to attend.  Perhaps after Fred's talk on the
9th, we (the MidAtlantic LUG) could hoist a couple of beers at either
John H*, a brew pub about four blocks away, or the District Chop House
(another brew pub) about six blocks away.  Let's talk.  You may use
Metrorail.

Remember David W. Almy, another LUGGER, has his photo exhibit at Air and
Space Museum in the west hall on the first floor.  You can get two for
one in a late afternoon and early evening in September!

Best Regards (a happy shooter),

Bill Caldwell
<sneeker@erols.com>