Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Print Development Time
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:54:05 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> I know this is a bit late to get involved, but the times given among you are
> quite short to me...
> I also use Ilford MG IV Fiber Based paper.  Developer is Ilford MG.
> Dilution is 1:14.  Development temp is the old... room temp.  ( Gotta get me
> one of those fancy Zone VI developer timers).
>
> My development time was the recommended 3 minutes.  But extending this to 4
> minutes improves the blacks and also seems to give more depth to the
> highlights, effectively lowering the local contrast in the highlights.  5
> Minutes does this a tiny bit more.  And my large sky areas that have minimum
> detail are not grey but show like zone 2 density.
>
> Your times of 60 seconds really does seem short to me, as at 60 seconds I am
> really quite developing still.
>
> I also use RC paper for contact sheets, and the recommended times are 2
> minutes, dilution 1:14.  These times disagree with the labels, but I found
> them on the Ilford Site.
>
> Frank Filippone

IMHO
Through testing you can find a point where you are no longer getting an increase
in contrast in development but just an overall increase in density. That would
be your optimal time. Chemistry requiring 2 minutes for RC and 3 for fiber would
be noncompetitive as there is a competition for convenience. Also just from
experience and what I do know about even Ilford chemistry those seem like longer times.
But as I communicated to Jim Brick directly darkroom work is as much a question
of temperament as well as temperature.
If you feel like more time at the trays "feels" right to you then I would go
with it. It's a question of the pace you like to set yourself in the darkroom.
Some people like a very unrushed leisurely process in the compliplative OC
wavelengths. I tend to rush around like a maniac punctuated by occasion very
long starings at test prints.
Mark Rabiner