Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:47:12 EDT

In a message dated 08/11/1999 1:22:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net writes:

<< DonjR. It really depends on the effect your wanting.  Lets start equal.
Both
 on tripods, cable released-mirrows up. Same film type and sitting side by
side
 exposed at the same moment. (also we need the lens of the two to cover as
 close to the same area as possible)( same f stop and shutter speed)  Now we
 can compare apples to apples (so it were) the 2 1/4 will not need the same
 amount of magnification as the 35, so you'll notice more grain in the 35
 image. Not having done side by side comparisons I cannot give you more info.
 but when I shoot a wedding I use both the hassie and the leica (R's) and my
 assistant who does the editing always comments that they like the detail in
 the 2 1/4 images better that those of the 35mm. Now    if we shoot chromes
and
 then do inter negs or computer negs and lock the grain at a certain
 magnification level between the two that is equal, then I think the leica
 would win.  I'm sure that not everyone will agree.

 Next is that if your shooting the 35 on a tripod-mirrow up and cable
released,
 and the 2 1/4 hand held then the 35 will win on movement alone.

 cheers Wilber

It has been my experience that prints from both cameras are pretty difficult
to distinguish when shooting 100 mm on Hasselblad and 50 mm DR Summicron on
M-3 with Tech Pan film with cameras on tripod and printed with Durst L 1200
point light source enlarger and 50 and 80 mm APO lenses.

My experience with color negative film is the Hasselblad provides better
prints.

Will be happy when the new Provia is available and it may be tested against
Kodachrome 25.  However, Provia does not provide as great resolution as
Velvia according to the factory data.

I have not seen any digital stuff that even resembles good Hasselblad and
Leica work that is done by people who know what a good print looks like
rather than the newspaper quality stuff we see so often.  Nowadays quality
takes a back seat to convenience so we will see more easy to produce digital
stuff.

Hope this gets the discussion started.