Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:19:05 -0400

DonjR. It really depends on the effect your wanting.  Lets start equal. Both
on tripods, cable released-mirrows up. Same film type and sitting side by side
exposed at the same moment. (also we need the lens of the two to cover as
close to the same area as possible)( same f stop and shutter speed)  Now we
can compare apples to apples (so it were) the 2 1/4 will not need the same
amount of magnification as the 35, so you'll notice more grain in the 35
image. Not having done side by side comparisons I can not give you more info.
but when I shoot a wedding I use both the hassie and the leica (R's) and my
assistant who does the editing always comments that they like the detail in
the 2 1/4 images better that those of the 35mm. Now    if we shoot chromes and
then do inter negs or computer negs and lock the grain at a certain
magnification level between the two that is equal, then I think the leica
would win.  I'm sure that not everyone will agree.

Next is that if your shooting the 35 on a tripod-mirrow up and cable released,
and the 2 1/4 hand held then the 35 will win on movement alone.

cheers Wilber