Subject: [Leica]Re: Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:55:56 EDT

I feel that many of you have missed Tina's point.  I don't think anyone is
doubting the fact that, if you do similar large prints off 5" x 4", 6 x 6 and
35mm negs, you will see a difference in grain, etc.   In most cases the 5" x
4" will win hands down in this respect no matter how carefully the film is
processed.

I feel that the point that the article (and, in turn,Tina) was trying to make
is that you are far more likely to capture the character and ambience of your
subject using a discrete 35mm camera (such as the Leica) than using a
Hasselblad or 5" x 4" camera.   And just try shooting sport on either of the
others!   No one is doubting that still life for advertising is better done
on large format with tilt and shift, but try taking that into the home of a
Honduran peasant and seeing how you get on!

Gerry (UK)