Subject: Re: [Leica] Maroon Photos
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:44:08 -0400

I know Fred a bit too and did a magazine story on him a few years ago. You
definitely should see his work if you get the opportunity. Fred produced a
number of Leica brochures for the company in the 80s, as I recall, all
shot, of course, with Leicas.

His previous two books were on the architecture of the Supreme Court and
U.S. Capitol buildings. Fred shot them all with his Leica Rs, and they are
startling examples of the high quality attainable through exacting
technique. Fred used a truckload of hot lights to light the Capitol  for
his project, an extraordinary feat even without all the hoops you must jump
through to  work in that building.

Fred is an architect by training. He did a lot of 60s magazine work for
Life, Look, Sat Evening Post, etc. including fashion and travel as well as
Washington reportage. One of my favorites of his is a black and white image
of Robert Kennedy conducting a Senate hearing, shot with the 21mm on an M.

Bill Welch