Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Lenses on Contax SLR Cameras
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:49:13 -0400

At 08:18 AM 8/11/1999 -0500, Bud Cook wrote:
>But Marc, are they built to the same standards?  Is a Geo a Toyota?   IMHO,
>the quality of the lens mount is as important as the quality of the glass.

I haven't the foggiest idea about Toyotas and Geo's.  Never owned either,
nor wanted to do so.

However, I DO know Zeiss glass.  First, some of the more exotic Contax SLR
lenses are made in Germany at the main Zeiss lensworks in Oberkochen, as
are the more exotic Contax G/G2 lenses.  Second, the lenses made in Japan
are made to Zeiss standards and Zeiss performs the final inspection:  this
is done in a room where only Zeiss employees are admitted, and the Zeiss
inspectors are rotated frequently to avoid any question of favoritism.

So, yes, Contax SLR lenses ARE as pure a Zeiss product as can be found!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!