Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: If Porsche Can Do It, Why Not Leica?
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:01:02 -0600

Jim Laurel wrote:

> The old pushrod V8 is an extremely trustworthy engine.  Not terribly fast or
> fuel efficient, but dead reliable and very strong, especially at low RPM.
> There has been discussion about using BMW's new V8's in Land Rover products
> for some time.  As I understand it, the problem with this is that the BMW
> V8s do not provide sufficient torque at low RPM for off-road conditions, and
> they have insufficient engine braking.

Indeed, the GM and Ford small-block pushrod V8s are typically torquey
beasts, and they deliver gobs of it over a wide range of RPMs. The
chain-driven pushrod valvetrains generally aren't designed for high
RPMs, but within their limits, they do provide very reliable service,
usually without need for periodic valve lash adjustment. I love the
likes of aluminum Honda DOHC engines, but this is more complex
machinery, it needs more maintenance to perform it's best, and the one I
had produced most of it's torque at higher RPMs, and a much narrower
range at that--it'd be a terrible engine for off-roading, I think!

Jeff