Subject: [Leica] Possible Virus in mail sent to the LUG by me!
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:31:18 -0700

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I recently sent the post shown below.  I was unaware that I was also
attaching the Happy99.exe virus with it!  It would appear that the LUG
software strips off attachments, for I have seen no reference to the virus
on this list.

However, a solar eclipse list I belong to did have some minor troubles.

I have traced it back to the chap who (also unknowingly) sent it to me, and
learned how to get rid of it.

If you simply delete the Happy99.exe attachment without running it, you
will be safe.

However, should any of you accidentally or inadvertently run the program,
you will see a simple fireworks display on the screen, and you will be
infected.

Should you get the Happy99.exe, Happy991.exe or Happy99.worm virus from my
mail or any other source, here is a simple way to get rid of it.

  1- Use Windows Explorer and delete Happy99.exe

  2- go into DOS mode

  3- change directories to WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

       C:> cd windows\system

  4- do a directory search for WSOCK32.* by using:

       C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM> dir wsock32.*

       - If you are infected, you will see  WSOCK32.DLL
                                       and  WSOCK32.SKA

        The WSOCK32.DLL is the virus attaching bit.  WSOCK32.SKA is your
        original Winsock.  So, you must delete WSOCK32.DLL by using:

        C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM> del wsock32.dll

        and then rename your original winsock, by using:

        C:\WINDOWS\SYSTE> ren wsock32.ska wsock32.dll

  5- You are now virus free.  Type EXIT to return to Windows.

BTW:  If you are running any non-Windows system (Mac, Unix, Linux etc.),
the virus has no effect.  And if you should end up with it, it is benign.
It will not erase your hard drive, nor do any other damage.  It will,
however, waste system resources, as it sends copies of itself with all your
mail.  It serves to remind us how easily we can catch a much more damaging
virus.

Again: My humble apologies for unwittingly sending the virus along.