Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: If Porsche Can Do It, Why Not Leica?
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:42:55 -0700

Just reliable, period.  There are certainly alot of anecdotal accounts out
there about this engine's reliability and durability.  I have the 4.0 V8 in
my Discovery and Defender, and they have both been absolutely solid.

Actually, BMW has made alot of changes.  The Discovery in particular, has
benefitted significnatly in terms of quality control.  Today's Discos are
much better in general, with better fit and finish, water sealing, body
panel alignment, etc.

Most LR owners would agree with you about the diesel.  I would love to have
gotten mine with the new TD5 rather than those thirsty V8s.  Still, the V8
is a great powerplant.

Mercedes-Benz has used thier car engines to great effect for many years in
the various Gelaendewagen models.  Compared to the newer M-Class vehicles, I
think you would consider the G-Wagens quite obsolete.  However, we now know
that the M class trucks are not nearly as capable off-road.  While the
M-class is technologically very advanced compared to the Range Rover, which
would you trust for a drive to Timbuktu?  You can find people all over the
world who can service a Land Rover engine.

- --Jim