Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-ray Test
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:05 +0100 (BST)

Jiri Dvorak wrote:

> Unless you are in Heathrow. No amount of talking could persuade them to
> hand check my film.

There are very good reasons why airport security is quite strict (and at
times of high threat *very* strict) in the UK. If anyone fails to
appreciate why this is, they should take time out their next trip here to
visit the town of Lockerbie, where any number of residents can explain the
need for good airport security in some detail.

In my experience there's really no need to wind up at LHR (or LGW) with a
ton of exposed film. The day you leave, call in to Metro on the
Clerkenwell Road (http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/), they're open 24/7, and
will turn round E6 in 90 minutes. They're very good, you won't find a
better D&P place anywhere in the world (David Bailey has used them for
years, if that matters).

The same logic applies to worrying about bringing film here. We're not a
third world country, we *do* have shops that sell all types of
photographic supplies!

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk