Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon F lens on Leica R (was "Repeat of Q")
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 99 10:35:52 +1000

"B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Subject: [Leica] Repeat of question

Please give your messages meaningful subject titles.

>Can anyone tell me if there is an adapter that will allow the use of Nikon
>manual lenses on an R6?

Not one which lets you focus the lens at infinity.  The
problem is that according to the film-to-lens distance list
at <www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm>

Nikon F  = 46.50 mm
Leica R  = 47.00 mm

Which amounts to a difference of -0.5mm.  Unless you get
the ring made of anti-matter, there aint no way of getting
an adapter ring to mount the lens with a distance of 46.5mm.

So forget the adapter ring.  The only way you will be able
to do it is to have a technician shave 0.5mm off either the
lens or body mount flanges.

The only reason why there is a Leica R lens to Canon EOS
adapter (Novoflex EOS/LER) <www.novoflex.com> is that the
LTF distances are:

Leica R    = 47.00 mm
Canon EOS  = 44.00 mm

With +3mm being enough (just) for an adapter ring.

>I know that Leica lenses can't be adapted to Nikons
>because of a size incompatibility.

Not true.  You can either build up the lens mount on each
lens, or build up the lens mount flange on the Nikon body.

I chose the latter course to get my R lenses to mount on
my Nikon F2A.

The people to contact are:

Professional Camera Repair, NYC, 1-212-382-0550

(BTW, sorry about repeating myself here.  I posted detail about
this a few days ago but for some unkown reason the LUG Digest
"Volume 10 : Number 066" deleted the post, despite listing it
in the index of subjects at the top of the digest.  Looks like
it got bumped to make room for all the x-ray, Microsoft and
'challenge' posts.)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
nemeng.com