Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Digital Printer Recommendation Needed
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:19:02 -0600

>I, too, bought the Schuss book the other day--on BD Colen's
>recommendation.  Excellent general text, with *lots* of useful
>information/guidance regarding B&W printing in PhotoShop.  Well worth the
>cost.
>
>I'm perfectly happy with the B&W results I get with the Photo Stylus
>700.  My sense is that the weak link is not so much the available inkjet
>technology as it is the available media: inks and papers.
Yes, I think you're right.
Try some Concord Rag coated for inkjets for a nice effect with B&W images.
>I'm especially
>interested in the new materials offered by Luminous (sic) and others.  When
>I upgrade the printer (to handle larger format), I will dedicate the 700 to
>B&W and experiment with the various continuous tone B&W inks.
Good idea, changing inks is a bit of a pain.
>Until then,
>I'm reluctant to commit to B&W printing only--which, unless someone knows
>the storage life of unsealed cartridges, seems necessary with the new media.
You might try having an ICC profile made for your printer. You will then
get consistent, neutral color. Better in color and B&W
This assumes your system and software supports color management.

>A poster in the Contax group, who seems quite knowledgeable about digital
>printing, insists that the PhotoShop printer drivers generate "smeared"
>colors and introduce artifacts into the printed image.  He recommends
>editing in PS and printing under PageMaker.
I think the poster is referring to editing in BS not PS :)
I think the above is incorrect. I have never seen or heard evidence of
this.
>I don't have access to
>PageMaker, but has anyone else done any comparisons between PS's and PM's
>output to the printer?  I'd really like to know whether it's possible to
>tweak the output by-passing PS's driver.
Don't waste your time on this. You'll need a software RIP to print from
Postscript programs like Pagemaker. More money and more time. I doubt
you'll get better results either. Try profiling your printer.

Here is a good place to look for info on this and other digital photo
subjects:

http://www.digitaldog.net/tips.html

>CHandos

Henry