Subject: RE: [Leica] Carpal Tunnel
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:09:45 -0000

I make the following comments as one who ended up with a permanent partial
disability - as classified by workman's comp - from 23 years of daily
pounding on a typewriter under "unergonomic" conditions...

Don't get hung up on what is or isn't "carpal tunnel syndrome." It's all
Repetitive Stress Injury" and it's all an enormous bitch. You may find you
get kinks in your neck and/or shoulders, have problems with your elbows,
wrists, fingers, forearms, etc. You may develop one form of tendenitis or
another. And the treatment for all of it is rest, strengthening exercises,
anti-inflammatories, heat or cold.

I can not strongly enough urge anyone who is going to spend any real time
working on a computer to invest in the absolute best chair they can possibly
afford. I highly recommend the Aeron, from Herman Miller, which is now about
$900 and is found in a number of catalogues. This chair is adjustable up,
down, forward, back, has a mesh seat and back, deeply padded arms - which
protects the tendons that cross the elbows - and the arms go up and down,and
swivel left and right. I would literally spend less on the computer and more
on the chair if I had to make the choice.

Also, while anti-inflamatories are a godsend, be careful. I have discovered
that after eating Advil daily for 10 years I developed a sensitivity to
NSAIDS that causes them to trigger asthma attacks...(honest, I'm not a nut.)

The bottom line is that all this stuff is for real....The human body was NOT
designed to sit, and it certainly wasn't designed for all these repetitive
motions. Take LOTS of breaks - every 10 to 15 minutes.

And good luck...

P.S. Oh, and remember that an awful lot of "doctors" wouldn't know RSI or
CTS if they got it themselves, and don't believe that it's real.

B. D.