Subject: Re: [Leica] carpal tunnel syndrome
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:57:36 -0400

Francesco-
When I was in police communications, we used computer assisted dispatch
equipment, worked twelve hour shifts, and CTS was endemic!
If you are starting to get the symtoms, try to avoid anyone cutting on you,
if possible, for as long as possible because if you are one of the 15% who
are not helped, it is not a pleasant experience!
We found that a proper work station height was important- don't have the
keyboard too high in relation to your body- ours were around 'bellybutton'
height, and the chairs were adjustable. Change positions frequently,
meaning, change the chair angle (back) and the height as well. Don't type
with the wrist 'broken', that is at too severe an angle- I set my keyboard
back about 6-8 inches from the edge of the desk, and rest the forearm on the
table rather than the wrist. A foam pad in front of the keyboard helps too,
since it helps keep the wrist from flexing back too much. If you have the
symptoms, you can get a wrist brace that reduces the motion and can give the
wrist a rest while the inflammation goes down, and if the pain is severe, a
cortisone shot in the affected area will give you relief- but use the brace
nonetheless as it will keep the repetitive motion that started it all to a
minimum.
Hope you get to feeling better- CTS is no fun... especially if it gets in
your right wrist! You can't crank the film advance as fast! ( another
argument for a motor drive!)
Dan
- - been there, done that, and it hurts like hell!)