Subject: Re: [Leica] carpal tunnel syndrome
From: Kent Jon Peters <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 22:14:54 -0700

Francesco Sanfilippo wrote:

> Hi LUGgers:
>
> Has anyone here experienced Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?  I think I may
> be developing it and I am curious to hear some first hand accounts of
> how it was handled or managed.  I sit at my computer for a MINIMUM
> of 10 hours every day, usually more like 12-14.  Why?  I am a
> web programmer and internet developer, and I like to read the LUG!
>
> My problem started just a few weeks ago with a gradual
> development of a numbing sensation in the wrist and outer two fingers
> of my right hand.  Sometimes they get so painful and numb that they
> feel COLD compared to the rest of my hand.  I am getting concerned
> since there is no way possible to reduce computer keyboard time
> without getting another job.  I have read that a simple surgery
> corrects
> the problem permanently in 85% of cases.
>
> Essentially, the median nerve is squeezed abnormally to numbness
> by the inflammation of ligaments and tendons (caused by extended
> use and repetitive motions) passing through the carpal tunnel
> (a passageway through the bones of the wrist).
>
> Any experiences with CTS would be much appreciated.....thank you!
>
> Francesco

- -----
If you're talking the 'outer two fingers' of the hand (inferring pinky
and ring finger), you're more likely to be suffering from ulnar nerve
entrapment which occurs at the elbow.  If you're talking about the
thumb, index or middle finger, then perhaps you do have median nerve
compression (carpal tunnel syndrome).  You ought to go to your physician
and have them check basic tests:  we usually do "nerve conduction
studies" or EMG (electromyelographic) studies to document if a nerve is
conducting slowly.  First line treatments for either is usually a
non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, but you really should get advice from
your own physician before taking any medicines!  Best of luck, Kent
Peters