Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 12:06:23 -0700

"Lee, Jonathan" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for all your replies to my M6 loading question.
> I'll do some practicing tonite.
>
> I need to buy some filters for black and white work.
> I've previously been using Hoya filters on my 1970s
> vintage Nikkor optics.  However, I've noticed that
> used Leica filters are available for about double the
> price of a new B+W/Hoya filter.  Should I pay the
> extra $$$ for Lecia?
>
> Oh, by the way, I do not put a UV filter on my lenses.
>
> Jonathan

A Leica filter if it was right in front of you and they were giving you quite a
deal. But otherwise a B+W are the guys who might be making them for them anyway
and Heliopan who as of last week have a website and make very classy German
filters are another option. Since Hoya is the company supplying the glass for
the front element on many of the new lenses anyway it seems not inappropriate
and I hear that Hoya now has a premium line so you can get brass or Zinc instead
of a plastic rim (from the Pacific Rim). The Laminating configuration of Tiffin
filters makes me get them as a last resort as a temporary backup. The quality of
the Rims are of course also an issue. And our ego's thrive on the nice little
writing on them.
Mark Rabiner
IMHO