Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summicron looseness of barrel problem
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:57:22 +0200

>Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:57:53 -0400
>From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summicron looseness of barrel problem
>
>I was told by a well-regarded Leica dealer that the front assembly on the
pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron-M can be loosened by the slip-on
>plastic lens cap as well.  It's not uncommon to remove the cap, which fits
snugly, by giving it a twist and a pull.  Apparently that
>twist can loosen the front of the lens over time.  The cap should be
removed with a straight-off pull.

>Or, the cap should be tossed in a drawer and never used again.  I do tend
to remove the lens by twisting the hood, though.  I'll
>have to watch that.
>
>One other thought: Is this a consistent/persistent problem with this lens,
or is the problem only found in certain serial number
>ranges?  I have a late, German Summicron (3604252).  The front is nice and
tight, so far.

>Rob

Reply : I met the same problem with my "canadian" summicron 2/35mm bought
new in 1987 n° 3418651.Some weeks after, the front barrel had loosened.
Leica France repaired the lens in a few days. Since then, I've met no
problem even with the plastic cap.

Dominique Pellissier