Subject: [Leica] RE: actual focal length
From: "Simon Pulman-Jones" <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:26:25 +0100

Bill Rosauer wrote:

"...only Leica has the integrity to
actually engrave the actual focal length of the lens on the barrel of lenses
50 mm and longer."

Can anybody explain how the numbers engraved on the barrel beyond the
infinity markings relate to actual focal length? I find 00 on my Noctilux,
05 on my 200/4 Telyt, and 10 on my 90 Elmarit-M. Is this variation from the
nominal focal length in hundredths of a millimetre? If so, there appears to
be no plus or minus indication.

I can't imagine what use this information could be to me, but I'd still like
to know...