Subject: RE: [Leica] 60's Merc?
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:29:41 -0700

Jason's comments remind me of the Series Land Rover fans I met at the
National Rallye in New Mexico a couple of years ago.  (For those of you who
aren't Land Rover fans, the term "Series" refers to the older, leaf-sprung
vehicles, as opposed to the newer coil-sprung ones such as the Discovery,
Defender, and Range Rover)

Anyway, the series owners are always crowing about how the new coilers don't
have any "soul", and how they're not assembled as well as the older models.
They can cite any number of reasons why the older vehicles are superior.

But out on the trail, the newer V8-powered Discoveries, Range Rovers, and
Defenders just work.  During that week, several of the Series vehicles
failed with problems like broken half shafts, steering gear, transmission
problems, etc.  In addition, thier owners were constantly tinkering with the
engine tuning.  All the while, owners of the newer vehicles were out running
trails!

I admire the elegant, finicky, hand-machined products of the past...but when
there's ajob at hand, current technology gets it done best.