Subject: Re: [Leica] optical essentialism
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:04:05 +0200

Chandos,
Thanks for showing us your pictures! I have a similar picture, using the
very same equipment as you, the Leica IIIF and a collapsible Summicron. My
image was made at F/2,8 near the closest possible focus distance, and I
think it shows the great center sharpness and nice out of focus areas of the
coll. Summicron. The picture looks like it had been made by a much longer
lens. For me, this is the trademark of the coll. Summicron, the soft out of
focus areas. The rigid Summicron is similar, although not as much.

I have uploaded the initial unmanipulated scan, plus the final image with
adjusted curves and contrast to

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/5799/karolina.htm

As some postings to the LUG has been asking about scanners and printers, I
uploaded the original scan, to show the quality of a cheap film scanner, the
HP Photosmart, that still gives very good value for money.
I use an Epson Stylus 740 printer, that I really like. But largest picture
size is A4, though. B/W image quality is so good, that I am not ashamed to
hang Epson prints beside my dark room prints.

Best,
Hans

PS There must be others than myself and Chandos that have been using their
Leicas and scanners this summer...

From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown/photography/people/matt.htm