Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: outsourcing components
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:58:30 -0400 (EDT)

The subject of where items are actually made can be noted in
all parts of photography, as well as other fields of interest.
For example: Scotch-brand color films say "made in U.S.A."
on the box. This means that most of the work to make the finished
item is done in the good ole U S or A. But the film itself is
made in Italy. The loading of the cartidge and the box in made
in the U.S.A. Made in the U.S.A. can also mean made in Saipan
(island in the pacific) by virtual "slave labor". Saw it
on TV, so it must be true.
My gosh, parts of the M6 could be made in China. Has Leica
ever said that no parts are made in China? I don't remember
if they said so.
It's all pretty silly. Let's just judge the product for its
self and how it works. If all the parts were made in Wetzlar
and the camera was a bummer, then what? Aren't Leica viewfinders
made by a little company in Wetzlar? Not Leitz or Leica?
That's what I heard. Also, the newer "Plastic" versions
are much better than the older "metal" ones. I can see the
entire frame with my glasses on with the newer ones.
I cannot with the more exotic "metal" ones.  Ed