Subject: Re: [Leica] Motor drive battery packs
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:17:32 -0400

Gary-
The thing about Ni-Cds is that they have an extremely low internal
resistance. Most batteries or cells have a relatively high internal
resisitance and when loaded, this resistance limits the amount of current
available. Following Kirchoff's law, the interanl resistance 'drops' a
certain amount of voltage potential at the terminals and so the device
operates with a lower voltage.
Ni-Cds- short the terminal, and the battery 'dumps' the current! Things get
hot! I would imagine that the Leica folks are concerned that if their motors
are loaded too severely, that the Ni-Cds would not load up and self limit
the current, and the motors would burn up or at least suffer from
overcurrent situations. If they are having 'electronic' problems, then the
current limiting circuit might be one of the hold ups on development, though
a lot of people have solved that problem years ago!
Dan