Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 23:09:39 -0700

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:
><snip>
> Therefore, we must be in agreement that Solms is an assembler rather than a
> manufacturer like E. Leitz Wetzlar.  As assembler, we must hope Solms will
> set up quality control stations to check the camera parts it buys on the
> market that go into the cameras so the customer can be assured the cameras
> will work right out of the box.
>
> Thanks again, Mr. Puts, for further clarifying the "assembler" nature of the
> company.

Why would you grab on to this term "assembler" and turn it into a defining
pejorative? You've won that battle of the pressure plates months ago.
Yes it is Leica's responsibility to make sure any part that is put into its
camera's are up to spec or that someone's got a hammer nice enough to slam it
in. :)
The fact that every part is not made by them from scratch is far from a defining
issue.
They designed these parts and the systems they go together to create. Erwin
wrote yesterday:
"An industrial product cannot be isolated from its design and production
technology,
it does embody in its character its creation."

Leica is a preeminent Manufacture. In the history of manufacturers they remain
at the top.
The recent changing of the name from Leitz to Leica; The owners from the Leitz
family to
Wild-Heerbrugg did not break the company it made it. The M6 camera is the proof.

"As I have explained quite often: the Solms way of doing things is better than
the Wetzlar way.,"

Mark Rabiner