Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #57
From: wvl <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 11:12:26 -0700

> It seems ludicrous that any company, even in the 'good old days' would
> produce *every* component of things that they sold, including washers,
> gears and screws.  Why stop there?  Why not use "Leitzianer" to mine the
> copper and zinc to produce the brass used in the bodies?
>
> Please not that I am not doubting you!
>
> Dan C.

Henry Ford did it to a great degree. His empire included mines, glass
manufacturing, and wood products. He even started the Kingsford"
charcoal company to utilize ash sawdust from his wood auto components.
This "vertical organization" was a competitive advantage to Ford. I
could believe quality control might have been a motive at Leitz.
Bill Lawlor