Subject: Re: [Leica] A most daring proposition.
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 13:56:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, D Khong wrote:

> That's done it!!  Now every collector in town will be hunting down every
> Wetzlar and Leitz product that they can get their hands on and push prices
> up.  This will  soon be reflected in the bidding prices at ebay,
> advertisements in the Bug and what have you.  I should have sold my Solms
> M6HM last week too....
>
> Dan K. ;-)
>                                     - EQ -
>                           "trying to please everybody
>                         and ultimately pleasing nobody"

Interesting observation. But this was known in the 1970s...
One feature of my Leitz-made M cameras is that they are "tight", in
so much as photographers complained that the Leica-made Ms
shouldn't be used in the rain. they weren't as "water tight".
But I witnessed the "putting together" of M bodies in the
Wetzlar works in 1962 and 1966. Parts were actually fitted
precisely from a number of slightly different sizes. hand fitted
is the term to use. This was something I was shown to indicate
high quality of product. It's what gave the products their
reputation (at least some of it).
I bought an M6 last year knowing that it might not be up to
snuff with my M3 and M2. But it has performed beautifully.
And now I've added the tri-elmar to my Summarit 50mm f/1.5
and other Leitz-made optics. In my opinion no one lens is any
better than another. They are just "different". You test the
lens and use it for how you want the images to look. Each
lens has it's own character. This is why I have six different
50mm Leitz lenses. Then add a 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar
and 50mm f/3.5 Carl Zeiss Tessar, with the British focusing
mount adapter. They are all different.
Sorry to go on with this, as it seems now to be an ego thing.
I should just keep my mouth shut and enjoy the scenery.
Ed