Subject: [Leica] OFF TOPIC - M$ again, etc..
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 19:19:42 +0100

Dan Post wrote:

> snip-This big hoopla over him giving away his browser, and hurting Netscape's
> feelings is the biggest bunch of sour grapes I ever heard! If Netscapes is so
> great, let them sell an operating system that is BETTER than Windows, let
> them come up with a browser, BETTER than windows and people will flock to
> them.-snip

That's precisely the problem.
MS can afford to give for free in order to kill others.
And they do it.
It's not the best product ,but the better marketed product ,or the product from
the more powerful company who win much to often in the computer world.
And this is not so appealing for me.

Peter Kotsinadelis wrote:

>  snip- You can trash Bill
> Gates all you want, people seem to like to have a whipping post, but for me
> he is changing the industry (which I am in actually in as opposed to other
> who are not) for the better (just my opinion).  I have a suite of programs
> that can transfer information between them and operate together.  I have a
> network that will shortly replace Novell as they have become complacent
> ignoring their customer's needs (sounds like Leica?).  Say what you want,
> but realize its easy to trash something that one has little inside
> understanding of.-snip

I love the diversity in this world and the possibility to make choices.
And I don't like to see people with to much power in their hands, using it to
reduce that diversity.

No, I don't think something is good because a majority buy it.
Some of the worst dictators won elections.

The Corbis idea don't make me so comfortable either.

I don't think Bill Gates will do any good to our children future,
or did any good to our present.

But, I don't work for him and I don't own MS shares.
;-)

I'm only an user who prefer to use a Mac, Netscape and Linux
and confess that he use, but don't like, MS Word.

A world with not other choices than MS products will be a nightmare IMHO.

Do you think that a world with only Ford cars on the roads will be so charming.

It will be, above all, really dangerous.
Why innovate if there is no competitor anymore?

I prefer the 'Oskar B.' of this world,
even if they look a little bit ridiculous to you.

Lucien