Subject: Re: [Leica] A most daring proposition.veering off on a tangent.
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 11:09:31 -0400

Dan C;
At one time it was fashionable to produce all your supplies. The inimitable
Henry Ford at one time owned iron mines, rubber plantations, and steel mills
to insure a steady supply of materials, so he could not be squeezed by a
supplier. The recent commercial for a car where the Japanese board is
sitting around a table discussing valves, and one man shamefacedly admits
that the price seems high, but the vendor is their only source- then a
bright young man chirps in that a supplier in Texas can sell them valves at
half the price.
This is a very good illustration of how business, especially in the global
economy, is being done now. Most companies buy parts from several sources so
as not to be squeezed and subbing out assemplies is nothing new. Leica, can
be faulted, however, in the R8 Motor Drive, in that the delayed delivery was
blamed on a supplier that went belly up or was not able to complete the
contract for a major piece.... second source the commonly used screws and
stampings, make your own major assemblies... I think the new management,
however, will correct a lot of things in the coming months of operation.
Dan