Subject: Re: [Leica] A most daring proposition.
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 09:40:49 -0400

What about other camera companies from Japan that seem to be able to put
together a camera without all the acecdotal problems you speak of
concerning Leica Camera?  Do Minolta and Nikon and Canon produce all their
own screws and gears and washers?

Just to be clear about this, I accept everything Erwin has stated.  And I
don't value my Solm produced HM any less because there are non Leica
manufactured screws and washers in it.  On the contrary.  Leica makes
cameras, not screws.

Dan C.

 At 09:59 AM 01-08-99 EDT, you wrote:

>It is likely the Leitz family produced everything that went into the Leica
so
>the purchaser could be certain he or she was receiving products that would
>work rather than farming out parts production and then hoping the parts
would
>be finished to Leitz quality.  Current problems that are regularly noted on
>the LUG board indicate just how difficult it is to successfully farm out
>production of close tolerance parts.  Those who manufacture the parts sold
>Solms want every part accepted by Solms since that increases the subs'
>profits and it then becomes the costly job of Solms to carefully check each
>part it has farmed out rather than making the part correctly in-house.
Thus,
>Mr. Puts advises us that Solms has become an assembler rather than a
>manufacturer and is dependent upon outside sources for the parts that it
>assembles into cameras that it sells.
[snip]