Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Special Edition M6s
From: "Aaron Ruby" <aruby@rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 00:42:31 -0400

Dennis:

Thanks for the interesting and informative response. Was vulcanite used on
the M6J? If not, do you know what was used? It just seems a shame that a
beautiful black enamel camera should be covered in a mediocre material.

The reason I ask is that my first M-camera was an M6. After all I'd heard
and read, I was ecstatic when I got a little windfall with which to purchase
one. I noticed in the store that it didn't feel "all that" for how much it
cost, but I just figured it was cold feet, so I took the plunge. Three
months later I returned it and went back to my Contax S2 (quite a gem I
might add). That was two years ago. A few months ago I got a decent price on
an M2, so I tried again. OH MY GOD!!! LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.

The opportunity to get a brass top-plate camera (will that add heft and the
feeling of solidity M6's seem to lack relative to older M's?) with a quality
covering and an internal meter is almost worth $3000. I'd sure be trying to
find a way to finance one (although on a graduate student's income, it's no
trivial proposition).

Thanks again,

Aaron