Subject: Re: [Leica] New LTM Leica lenses ?? Is this a joke.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:58:05 -0700

"A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote:

> Lucien wrote:
>
> > WARNING: THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL!
> >
> > LUGers,
> >
> > I heard this afternoon, that Leica is coming back
> > with 3 lenses in LTM, for the first time since 1964.
> >
> > 35/1,4 ASPH, 50/1,4 and 50/2.
> >
> > The prices seem to be close to the bayonet versions.
> >
> > Is this a joke ?
> > My source is normally reliable, but I don't know about his own source.
> >
> > If it's true, it may be a nice move.
> > To challenge Konica, Cosina and Minolta on their own ground
> > instead of waiting in Solms Castle.
> >
> > Lucien
>
>  Lucien,  I suppose it costs very little to make the back end of a Leica
> lens in to a screw mount type. Even if they sell only a relative small
> quantity, it will be worth while. It will give the screw mount enthusiast
> a chance to use modern Leica lenses. If it is true, it is a good move.
>
> Regards, Horst Schmidt

If I were Herr Cohn:head of Leica I would do the above but also put Minolta,
Fuji or somebody with the spare time to output a new polycarbonate screwmount
with a red dot on it to screw the above lenses into. The spare parts for
everyone dragging out their old dried up screw mounts will dwindle fast then
what a fine mess they'll all be in for.
But I'm going to weigh in as a naysayer and say nay, the whole thing is an
elaborate hologram designed to get our hopes up high. I think Leica is too small
of a company to have that many pans in the fire just now.  Herr Cohn would be
into
consolidate mode now not mass quantities of everything. That's my take,throw the
sticks again.
Mark Rabiner