Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:58:35 -0300

>csocolow wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips/techniques for meterless photography? I use
> > the "sunny 16 rule" allowing a filter factor for pollution, etc.

<SNIP>

Mark's reply was excellent and provides you with a thorough approach
for learning how to figure exposure without a meter.

In addition to what Mark has provided, I might suggest that you find
a Sekonic 308B and stick it in your pocket as a backup. It uses one
AA battery and has incident and reflective light capability. It's
accurate, small and unobtrusive. In cloudy, overcast or other
questionable conditions, it just takes a second or two to measure the
incident light in the various directions you will be shooting - -
just to back up and reinforce your original judgement - -  especially
if you haven't been shooting for some time <grin>. As a reflective
meter, the field approximates that of a 50mm lens.

I use an M-4, and this this little 308 critter has been my companion
for several years. If you're an active shooter, it's a *very*
friendly addition, and source of comfort. Keep it in your trouser
pocket - -  but remove loose change and keys to keep from scratching
the incident light dome.

Just my three cents  (Inflation, you know)

George

George Berger
gberger@his.com