Subject: [Leica] M/lens -vs- MF/set?
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:51:54 -0400

Think of a photographer as a coach, while components of cameras & film make
up his team.  His job is to orchestrate a successful 'score', a finished
print on the wall (or in the book).

While Leicas are okay mechanisms and great glass, they are expensive to
obtain.  [I think, at least, we can agree they _are_ expensive.]
IF, for the price of one lens for a Leica, you can buy a whole medium format
camera kit- is it something to seriously consider?

A 645 neg is three times+ the real estate of a 35mm neg.
That alone is worth the price of admission- if your goal is to produce
quality prints at size.  [It's also nice to have if you're an old phart and
the eyes don't see small as well as they used to!]

The specific camera the original poster was asking after (Fuji GW-670) is a
remarkable item (although I don't own one).  It's very compact and light,
and has many features built in. It's quiet and very easy to use.
Rob yourself of just one 50 Summi to have added depth in your arsenal of
camera types?  Sure, it can only serve to make the 'team' stronger.

My 645 can carry 30 frames per roll (nearly equal to the 36 maximum on a
35mm).  It is FASTER to use than an RF (it's an SLR), has a phenomenal
meter, and takes just as much thought to use (well) as any other camera.

Of course, the other consideration is to buy just the 50 Summi and leave it
on the shelf (if you can't afford a body at the same time).