Subject: RE: [Leica] Special Edition M6s
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:45:09 -0000

Doctor,
I think if I can re-iterate what Bill has already said, with regard to this
particular camera, what the LHSA has strived to achieve is a user's camera,
at a user's price, ie as similar as possible to an ordinary (M6/TTL) shop
price.
It's unfortunate that Leica wish to charge more for the finish, and wish to
charge more for the engraving but then they're looking to be more profitable
in the future than previously, that's business.
As Bill said, what people do after the purchase is up to them. If I do end
up buying one, I'll be looking to get it dirty and 'broken in' as soon as
possible. But I have a thought that paying a man in Japan $400 for the
painting of an old M camera (I have) might be a far cheaper way of getting a
black Leica, only trouble is, it won't meter.
But if I buy the new black M6, it's a TTL version, back to front shutter
dial etc.
Heads you lose, tails you lose.
Jem

The Doctor Foolishly Continues To Respond...

If a "regular" TTL can be had for about $1800, a "special edition" at $3000
is not "close" to a user price, it is about 20% short of double the user
price.

Why, oh why, the Doctor wonders, would you rush to spend an extra $1200 to
only "rush out and get it dirty and 'broken in' as soon as possible." (You
could, after all, keep it pristine and just flush $1200 down the toilet and
have the same result). And, one wonders, why would anyone buy a precision
instrument and "rush out and get it dirty." Yes, well used Leicas do end up
with brassing - or zincing - and pits and scratches. But WELL used Leicas
look and function remarkably well 30 years after their birth, which is why
many of us spend the extra money in the first place. (Dr. B was astounded at
last night's Boston LUG get together to by the fabulous condition of so many
M2s and M3s)

If one really wants a black enamel camera, and why not?, buy the camera for
$1800 and pay someone $400 to paint it - and save at least $800.

Or go spend the $3000 on the collector's item - but don't do it telling
people that you're doing so because you need another body for shooting. :-)