Subject: Re: [Leica] The "Gee-Whiz" Lens
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:25:23 -0400

At 12:22 AM 7/30/99 -0300, George Berger wrote:

>My question: Can any of you who have bought and used the 25-35-50 f
>4.0 please tell me what you think of its utility and quality?

 George: I've had the Tri-Elmar for almost a year now, and it's become my
most-used lens on the M6 (just ahead of the oft-maligned skinny 90
Tele-Elmarit, which normally sits on the M3). BTW, it's range is 28-35-50.
It took some getting used to -- the focal-length ring is where you'd
normally expect the find the focusing ring, and it lacks a DOF scale on the
barrel.

I shoot mostly B&W (TMY and Delta 400) in available light, and I've only
had to resort to my older and faster glass in a few cases (pre-Asph 35 Lux
and a SM Summarit). I'm not a professional, though, and I can see that
someone who absoolutely had to get the shot in dim lighting might find the
f4.0 to be a problem. Image quality is great.

As someone noted a week or so ago, this is a great lens for walking
around.///Dick Baznik